Map of historic sites

Fullscreen-Logo
loch etive

loading map - please wait...

Cadderlie: 56.484558, -5.174971
Abhainn Dalach: 56.507457, -5.174233
Doire-an-eich: 56.514285, -5.174990
Gortan Cherin: 56.496265, -5.159757
Dail: 56.503155, -5.154089
Allt Easach: 56.508333, -5.138238
Barr Ban: 56.506423, -5.133533
Eilean Uisneachan: 56.483966, -5.165108
Craig: 56.465243, -5.185862
Lochan Bealach Carra: 56.487952, -5.215845
Blarcreen Burn: 56.468844, -5.215588
marker icon
 Fullscreen-Logo KML-Logo

Abhainn Dalach

Group of three structures of uncertain function in advanced state of decay. They appear to relate to the practice of seasonal transhumance., are of a drystone construction and probably relate to later medieval or Early Modern activity.
marker icon
 Fullscreen-Logo KML-Logo

Allt Easach

A single unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet lxxiv) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
marker icon
 Fullscreen-Logo KML-Logo

Barr Ban

A farmstead, comprising two roofed buildings, one unroofed long building and two enclosures, and a head-dyke are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet lxxiv). Three unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
marker icon
 Fullscreen-Logo KML-Logo

Blarcreen Burn

Three structures representing a small shieling site.
marker icon
 Fullscreen-Logo KML-Logo

Cadderlie

Cluster of buildings, one still in use today as a Mountain Bothy.

A township, comprising eight roofed buildings, three partially roofed buildings, five unroofed buildings, three enclosures, one of which is annotated as 'Sheepfold', and two lengths of head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet lxxxviii). One roofed, one partially roofed building, four unroofed buildings and two sheepfolds are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).

More information: Cadderlie
marker icon
 Fullscreen-Logo KML-Logo

Craig

A township, comprising four unroofed buildings and two lengths of head-dyke and a farmstead, comprising one roofed, one partially roofed building and one enclosure are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet lxxxviii). Two roofed buildings and two enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976).
marker icon
 Fullscreen-Logo KML-Logo

Dail (also known as Creagan Maol)

A township, comprising four roofed buildings, one unroofed building, one unroofed structure, two enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet lxxiv). One roofed building, two unroofed buildings and a sheepfold are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).
marker icon
 Fullscreen-Logo KML-Logo

Doire-an-eich

Township with remains of 8 buildings, including corn drying kiln, houses and sheepfold. Also head dyke.

more information: Doire-an-eich
marker icon
 Fullscreen-Logo KML-Logo

Eilean Uisneachan

Eilean Uisneach or Uisneachan is an island consisting of rather flat rock covered with smaller stones and a few reeds and briars,scarcely a hundred feet in any direction. On it was a pile of stones 'about the length of a couple of cowhouses'. Assisted by Mr Campbell of Ardchattan School, Smith excavated the mound and found wooden pegs, charcoal and bones, indications of the former existence of a residence. The author described the island as 'a mere lake-dwelling' but it is not clear whether it is artificial or natural. A distinct road out of the island on to the land could be seen. This was a causeway of stones, now in ruins, intended to support a dry walk.

They are not entirely dry at any time. Statistical Account (OSA 1795) refers to 'Elain Usnich' as a small island with some vestiges of a house on it'.

R A Smith 1875; OSA 1795.

There are no traces of artificiality either on the island or on the rocks which give access to it from the loch side. The whole appears to be a natural formation of outcrop rock and loose boulders. The feature is certainly not a crannog.

Visited by OS (E G) 25 May 1962.

No further information. As described by previous OS field surveyor.

Visited by OS (R D) 13 May 1970.
marker icon
 Fullscreen-Logo KML-Logo

Gortan Cherin

A single unroofed building is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Argyllshire 1875, sheet lxxiv). The 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map depicts a roofed building annotated 'School' on the same site as the unroofed building noted from the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map.
marker icon
 Fullscreen-Logo KML-Logo

Lochan Bealach Carra

Foundations of two sub-circular structures, probably shielings.